Sana, Or Sanaa, a city of Yemen, Arabia, formerly capital of the imamate of Sana, 110 m. E. N. E. of Hodeida; pop. about 20,000. It lies in a fertile valley, about 4,000 ft. above the sea, and is surrounded by a ruinous wall of sun-baked brick, 5 1/2 m. in circumference. It is divided into a Jewish quarter, on the W. side, and the city proper, with the citadel, at the E. end. The imam's palaces are built of cut stone, with extensive gardens, surrounded by separate walls and fortifications. The streets are wide and comparatively well kept, but a large part of the town is in ruins. The climate is subject to great variations; sometimes no rain falls for several years, and the drought produces famine and pestilence; but generally there are rains in January, June, and July. Sana is the centre of the coffee trade of Yemen, and is famous for its fruits, especially grapes. The rich merchants have summer houses at Raudhah, 5 m. N. of the city. - Sana was a city of the Sabian kingdom, and is of great antiquity. It is probably the Tamna or Thomna of the ancient geographers. It is described by Pliny as a large commercial town, with 65 temples, to which caravans from Gaza resorted.
About 930 it became the seat of the imams of Yemen, who ruled all S. W. Arabia. (See Yemen.) In July, 1872, it was taken by the Turks, who have since held it with a garrison of 1,000 men.