A Province Of The Kingdom Of Italy, forming the N. portion of the island of Sardinia, bounded S. by Cagliari, and on all other sides by the sea; area, 4,142 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 243,452. It is mountainous throughout. It is watered by the Tirso, Coghinas, Posada, and other small rivers. Wheat, barley, and cattle abound, and cheese and butter are largely exported. The province is divided into the districts of Alghero, Nuoro, Ozieri, Sa33ari, and Tempio Pausania.
A City, capital of the province, on the Turritano, 10 m. from its mouth in the gulf of Sassari and 102 m. N. N. W. of Cagliari; pop. in 1872, 32,674. It is the seat of an archbishop, and contains an old fortified castle, a cathedral, a small university, which in 1875 had 66 students, a theological seminary, and other schools, the Vallambrosa and other palaces, and fine gardens. Oil is the chief article of trade. Its seaport is the neighboring Porto Torres.