Buxton, a market town and watering place of Derbyshire, England, 30 m. W. N. W. of Derby, and 20 m. S. E. of Manchester; pop. in 1871, 6,229. It has long been famous for its mineral waters. The principal group of buildings is the crescent, erected by the duke of Devonshire in 1780-'84; it is 270 ft. long, three stories high, the lower forming a colonnade, and is chiefly occupied by two hotels, in one of which is the public ball room. Opposite this is St. Ann's well, of which the water is pure and tasteless, but has a stimulating property; the temperature is 82° F. The waters, which are saline, sulphurous, and charged with nitrogen, are valuable chiefly in cases of chronic gout, rheumatism, and diseases of the digestive organs. There are eight hotels, five public walks, several chapels, schools, and charitable institutions. From June to October there is a large influx of visitors. Near by are many natural curiosities, among which, a mile distant, is Pool's Hole, a remarkable stalactite cavern. Two miles from Buxton is the Diamond hill, so called from the crystals found there, known as Buxton diamonds.
In the neighborhood is Chee Tor, a huge mass of limestone more than 300 ft. high.