Calicut, a seaport of British India, in the province of Malabar, presidency of Madras, situated on the Indian ocean, 100 m. S. W. of Seringapatam, in lat. 11° 15' N., Ion. 75° 50' E.; pop. about 15,000. The harbor is poor; the situation of the town on the open beach, with neither river nor haven, compels large vessels to anchor 2 or 3 m. from shore in 5 or 6 fathoms of water. The houses are built of sun-dried brick and of teak wood, and are thatched or tiled. There are about 4,000 Portuguese in the town, and their quarter has houses of a superior description. The other inhabitants are chiefly Mapillas, English, and Parsees. This port was the first place in India touched by a European navigator, Vasco da Garaa having landed here May 18, 1498. In 1510 the Portuguese were driven away; but in 1513 they were permitted to build a fortified factory. In 1616 the East India company established a British factory. In 1766 Hyder Ali took the town. In 1789 Tippoo Saib destroyed the place, compelling the inhabitants to migrate; but most of them returned after the conquest of the province by the British in 1790. By the treaty of 1792 Calicut was given to the East India company and was incorporated into the British dominions.

The chief exports are teak and sandal woods, pepper, cardamoms, ginger, turmeric, wax, and cocoa-nuts.