Canea, Or Khania, the principal seaport of the island of Candia or Crete, on the IT. coast of Candia, 30 m. W. N. W. of Retimo and 60 m. W. by N. of Candia; pop. about 10,000, of whom 3,500 are Mohammedans. The town is surrounded by strong walls and deep ditches, which are in a very neglected condition. The harbor is not good, being exposed to K. winds, but was formerly the best of the island. It has several Greek churches, Mohammedan mosques, a Catholic church, and a Jewish synagogue. In 1869 an agricultural bank was established by the Turkish authorities, and a tract of land set apart for a model farm. There are several schools, among which is a normal school, established in 1871, under French teachers. The imports in 1870 amounted to $1,046,100, the principal articles being flour, grain, and manufactured articles; the exports amounted to $1,596,100, consisting almost entirely of soap, olive oil, and silk. - Canea is supposed to be the ancient Cydonia. It came into the possession of the Turks in 1645. It suffered considerably by the earthquake of October, 1856, and was the scene of a bloody riot against the Christians in 1858.

Canea.

Canea.