Cannes; a seaport of France, department of Alpes-Maritimes, on the Mediterranean, 15 m. S. W. of Nice; pop. in 1866, 9,618. The climate is unhealthy in the summer, but in the winter it is a favorite resort for invalids from England and the north of France. Napoleon landed here on his return from Elba, March 1, 1815. Up to 1837 Cannes was a poor fishing village, but in that year Lord Brougham took up his residence here, and contributed greatly to the growth of the town. He died here, May 7, 1868, and was buried in the cemetery, his grave being marked by a large granite cross. Opposite the town is the island of Ste. Marguerite, in the citadel of which the " man in the iron mask" was confined from 1686 to 1698. The surrounding country is fruitful in vines, olives, and oranges, and a brisk trade is carried on in fruits, sardines, and anchovies.
Chateau of St. Ursula at Cannes.