Chang-Chow, Or Chang-Choo, a city of China, in the province of Kiang-soo, on the E. bank of the imperial canal, about 100 m. N. W. of Shanghai; lat. 31° 55' N., lon. 119° 43' E. It is surrounded by a wall 25 ft. high, and is otherwise well fortified. Several small canals connect it with the Tai-ho or great lake, and its commerce was formerly very extensive. Chang-chow is chiefly celebrated for the events of which it was the scene during the last decade of the Taiping rebellion. From 1800 to 1804 the place formed one of the chief strongholds of the rebels, resisting successfully all the attacks made upon it by the imperial troops. In the spring of the latter year the English Major Gordon, commanding 70,000 Chinese instructed in foreign tactics, laid siege to it; and on May 11 the city was carried by assault, after a conflict which ended in a massacre. Several thousand Cantonese troops, forming part of the garrison, were slaughtered after the capture; but about 20,000 natives of the province of Kiang-su, who had been pressed into the rebel service, were spared.