Chinsoora, Or Chinsnra, a town of Bengal, British India, on the right bank of the Hooglv, 20 m. above Calcutta; lat. 22° 53' N., lon. 88° 23' E.; pop. about 14,000. It extends about half a mile along the river, is neatly and solidly built, and is an important station for European troops. The barracks, hospital, and other buildings connected with the military establishment are on a magnificent scale, and since 1858 have been greatly enlarged. The barracks are intended to accommodate 5,000 men. Besides the Hoogly college, a government institution, the town has several schools and a chapel. It is famous for the manufacture of cheroots. It was settled by the Dutch in 1657, and in its small, quaint-looking dwellings bears manv traces of its founders. In 1759 the Brit-ish under Col. Forde defeated near here a Dutch force which had attempted to check their march on Chandernagore. When Holland was occupied by the French in 1795, the British offered to retain Chinsoora for the stadtholder; but their proposition being rejected, they took it by force, and retained possession till the peace of 1814. It formed part of the territory ceded to the British by the king of the Netherlands in 1824, in exchange for possessions in Sumatra.