Chorley, a town of Lancashire, England, on the Cham, near its confluence with the Yarrow, 20 m. N. W. of Manchester; pop. in 1871, 19,824. It is situated on rising ground, is well built, and has been considerably improved within the present generation, an extensive system of sewerage having been in operation since 1857. The ancient parish church of St. Lawrence has been enlarged and renovated. There are numerous schools, a lyceum, and various educational and charitable institutions. A new cemetery, covering 13 acres, is provided with Gothic chapels for the use of Protestants and Roman Catholics. The population has risen from about 4,000 in 1801, owing to the remarkable progress of industry. Besides the staple manufactures of cotton fabrics, muslins, jaconets, fancy articles, and yarns, there are printing and bleaching, dyeing and chemical, boiler and engineering works, and iron and brass founderies. In the vicinity are mines of coal, lead, and iron, and quarries of slate and grit stone. Weekly markets are held on Tues-dav, and annual fairs for cattle and horses, and for general purposes of trade.