Clamecy, a town of France, in the department of Nievre, situated at the foot of a hill at the confluence of the Yonne and the Beuvron, 38 m. N. E. of Nevers; pop. in 1866, 5,616. The parish church is a handsome building of the end of the 15th century, with a remarkable tower and fine statuary; and the chateau de Vauvert is surrounded by delightful pleasure grounds. On the bridge over the Yonne is a bronze bust of a native of Clamecy, Jean Rou-vet, who introduced the manufacture of wood rafts for the supply of Paris with fire wood, which are floated down the Yonne and Seine. The suburb across the former river is called Bethlehem, in honor of a bishop who was expelled from that city after its capture by the Saracens, and who, accompanying the count de Nevers to Clamecy, was endowed with the suburb and with a see which existed till the revolution of 1789. Cloth, stationery, earthenware, and other articles are manufactured, and there are dye works, fulling mills, potteries, and many tanneries. It was formerly surrounded by stupendous walls and defended by a castle, and previous to the revolution held a prominent position in the duchy of Nevers.