A province of Italy, in Piedmont, bordering on France and the provinces of Turin, Alessandria, Genoa, and Porto Maurizio; area, 2,755 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 616,817. About one half of the surface is level and the rest hilly and mountainous. The Ligurian and Maritime, and in the west the Cottian Alps, extend down into the province. It is traversed by the southern affluents of the Po, the most important of which is the Tanaro. Among the chief products are wheat, maize, mulberries, hemp, rice, and silk. In the mountains considerable cattle breeding and mining are carried on. The province is divided into the districts of Alba, Coni, Mondovi, and Saluzzo. II. A city, capital of the province, situated 1,500 ft. above the sea, near the junction of the Gesso and Stura torrents, 46 m. S. of Turin, with which it is connected by railway; pop. in 1872, 22,882. Coni was originally a city of refuge. About the year 1100 Boniface, marquis of Savoy, conquered the region and established there the marquisate of Susa, but was not able to repress the outrages of the neighboring barons.
The people soon rose against them, razed their strongholds, and built a town upon the site of the present city, which they called the "new city of Cuneo." In the 16th century the place was strongly fortified, and afterward underwent many sieges. In 1800, after the battle of Marengo, the French dismantled the fortress, and converted its site into promenades, and the town is now defended only by a wall. The cathedral is the ancient sanctuary of the "Madonna del Bosco," but has otherwise little interest. The church of San Francisco, belonging to a Capuchin convent, dates from the 12th century. There is also a handsome town hall, and other public buildings, and a pleasant public walk at the junction of the Gesso and Stura. There are considerable manufactures of silk and cotton, and the city is an agricultural mart for the surrounding region. About 10 m. S. W., in the the Val di Gesso, are the mineral baths of Val-dieri, a place of much resort.