Cotes-Du-Nord, a N. W. maritime department of France, in Brittany, bordering on the English channel and on the departments of Ille-et-Vilaine, Morbihan, and Finistere, and including the islands of Brehat, Sept Isles, and others; area, 2,668 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 622,295. The coast line is very much indented, the largest bay being St. Brieuc, at the head of which are the harbor and town of that name. In many places granite cliffs, with sandy beaches beneath, characterize the coast. The S. half is hilly, and on the S. W. boundary are the Montagnes Noires, which are at some points over 1,000 ft. high. The Ranee is the only river of importance, though a few others are accessible at high tide to ships. The Ille and Ranee canal connects the channel with the bay of Biscay, and a canal from Nantes to Brest crosses the department in the southwest. Agriculture is poorly conducted. Cider, hemp, and flax are the chief products, though sufficient oats, wheat, and rye are raised for home consumption. Excellent horses and cattle are reared, but the sheep are inferior. Asses are employed for farm work in some cantons. The coast fisheries of herring, pilchard, and mackerel are profitable. Hemp and flax are manufactured into sail cloth and linen, and leather, beet-root sugar, paper, and shoes are made.
Iron and lead are mined to some extent. The people mostly speak the Bas Breton tongue, and are ignorant and superstitious, but make fine seamen and soldiers. The department is divided into the arrondissements of St. Brieuc, Dinan, Guingamp, Lannion, and Loudeac. Capital, St. Brieuc.