Dane, a S. county of Wisconsin; area, 1,235 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 53,096. The surface is moderately hilly, and the soil calcareous and fertile. In the central part lie the Four Lakes, the largest of which is 6 m. long; they are connected by short channels, and have their outlet through Catfish river. In the W. part is a hill about 1,000 ft. high, called Blue Mound. The greater part of the land is occupied by prairies and oak openings. The Madison division of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad, the Prairie du Chien division, and the Sun Prairie and Madison branch of the Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,535,856 bushels of wheat, 938,128 of Indian corn, 1,490,668 of oats, 148,791 of barley, 348,220 of potatoes, 71,973 tons of hay, 1,242,953 lbs. of butter, 252,525 of wool, 229,568 of tobacco, and 69,273 of hops. There were 19,416 horses, 17,891 milch cows, 19,120 other cattle, 65,591 sheep, and 28,053 swine; 12 flour mills, 4 manufactories of agricultural implements, 7 of boots and shoes, 21 of carriages and wagons, 5 of furniture, 12 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 2 of woollen goods, 6 breweries, and 1 bookbindery.
Capital, Madison, which is also the capital of the state.