A district of the Bombay presidency, British India, bounded N. by Belgaum, E. by the Nizam's territory and Bellary, S. by Mysore, and W. by North Ca-nara; area, 9,122 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 883,611. The soil and climate are adapted to the growth of cotton, and in 1842 the New Orleans species of that plant was introduced with such success that in 1851 nearly 43,000 acres of it were under cultivation. The cotton is shipped at Coomta. The district formed part of the ancient kingdom of Bejapoor, and was overrun by Sevajee in 1675, and by Hyder Ali in 1777. It is comprised in the region known as the South Mahratta country, but nearly all the inhabitants are Canarese. It was acquired by the British on the overthrow of the Peishwa in 1818. II. The chief town of the district, situated near the W. frontier, 70 m. E. of Goa, and 288 S. E. of Bombay. It is defended by a wall and ditch, and a fortress originally strong, but now much decayed. It is the seat of three government schools, one Mahratta, one Oanarese, and one English. It was captured by Hyder Ali in 1778, and retaken by the British and Mahrattas in 1791.