Eupatoria (formerly Kozlov), a seaport town of Russia, in the government of Taurida, on the W. coast of the Crimea, and on the N. shore of the bay of Kalamita, 38 m. N. W. of Simferopol, and 40 m. N. of Sebastopol; pop. in 1807, 7,730, chiefly Tartars and Caraite Jews. Under the Tartars it was one of the most prosperous and populous towns in the Crimea. Before the Russian occupation of the peninsula, when the name of Eupatoria was given to the town by Catharine II., it had a population of above 30,000. It has a considerable trade in grain, and some trade in hides, butter, wax, etc. The export of salt, which is drawn from adjoining salt lakes, and from which the Tartars formerly derived great profit, has fallen off considerably. Butter, felt stuff's, and the black lambskins known in England as astrakhans, are prepared in the town. The port is shallow, but safe, and never frozen up. The principal buildings are a Greek church, an Armenian church, two synagogues, and several mosques, the chief of which, built by Devlet-Ghiri Khan in 1552, is the finest in the Crimea. - On Sept. 14,1854, the English and French effected a landing in the bay of Eupatoria, with about 60,000 men.
The town was provided with fortifications by order of Omar Pasha, who was at the head of the Turkish troops in 1855. The Russians made an ineffectual attack on it Feb. 17, 1855. It was evacuated by the allies after the ratification of the peace of Paris, May 30, 1856.