Grand Haven , a city, port of entry, and the capital of Ottawa co., Michigan, at the mouth of Grand river, on the E. shore of Lake Michigan, opposite Milwaukee, and 90 m. W. N. W. of Lansing; pop. in 1870, 3,147. It is bounded on two sides by hills, and in the neighborhood are extensive peach orchards. Springs possessing medicinal properties have lately been discovered. The city contains one of the finest hotels in the state, a cemetery of 40 acres, and three school houses. It is the W. terminus of the Detroit and Milwaukee railroad, and is intersected by the Michigan Lake Shore line. Steamers run throughout the year to Milwaukee, and in summer a daily line plies to Grand Rapids. The principal manufactories are seven saw mills, a shingle mill, a machine shop, two ship yards, and one manufactory each of agricultural implements and furniture, of sash, doors, and blinds, of spinning wheels, and of curtain rollers. There are a dry dock, a national bank, two weekly newspapers, a high school, and 11 churches.