See Russia, vol. xiv., p. 489.
Grand Forks , a N. E. county of Dakota territory, recently formed, and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 4,000 sq. m. It is separated on the east from Minnesota by the Red river, and is drained by several affluents of that stream.
Grand Isle , a N. W. county of Vermont, consisting of a number of islands in Lake Champlain and the S. part of a peninsula jutting into the lake from Canada between Richelieu or St. John's river and Missisquoi bay; area, about 77 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,082. The chief islands are North Hero, South Hero, and Isle La Motte. The surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. The county is famous for its orchards, which yield the finest apples in the state. The chief productions in 1870 were 21,073 bushels of Indian corn, 105,431 of oats, 26,876 of buckwheat, 26,295 of peas and beans, 51,599 of potatoes, 160,653 lbs. of butter, 83,-838 of wool, 12,271 tons of hay, and 15,982 lbs. of hops. There were 1,285 horses, 2,827 cattle, and 16,087 sheep. The lake is here navigable by vessels of 90 tons. The Vermont Central railroad crosses the N. part of the county. Capital, North Hero.
Grand Manan, Or Meuan an island off the E. coast of Maine, at the entrance to the bay of Fundy, belonging to Charlotte co., New Bruns-wick; pop. in 1871, 1,867. Its length is near-ly 20 m., and its average breadth about 5 m. ! It abounds with excellent timber, and has sev-eral fishing stations. The coast is deeply indented, and affords numerous good harbors. There is a lighthouse on the island, lat. 44° 45' 52" N., lon. 66° 44' 4" W.
Grand Monadnock, a mountain in Cheshire co., New Hampshire, near the S. W. corner of the state. The base covers an area of 5 m. by 3, and the altitude is 3,186 ft. above the level of the sea. Several minerals are found on and around the mountain, and it contains tale, mica, and slate, distinctly stratified. From a distance, its summit appears of a rounded form, free from rocks and mural precipices. Many streams of water issue from Grand Monad-nock, and from its top 30 ponds are visible, some of them large enough to contain islands of 8 or 10 acres.
Grand River , (Ind. name, Washtenong), a river of Michigan, and the largest which lies wholly in that state. It rises in the S. E. part of the lower peninsula, in two branches which unite near Jackson, and after a N. W. and W. course of about 270 m., including its numerous windings, it discharges into Lake Michigan at Grand Haven. It is about 950 ft. wide at its mouth, and deep enough for vessels of less than 12 ft. draught. Steamboats ascend 40 m. to the rapids, where the river has a fall of 18 ft. in a mile; and small boats ply between the head of the rapids and Lyons, about 50 m. further. The principal affluents are the Rogue, Flat, Maple, Looking-glass, and Red Cedar from the north, and the Thornapple from the south. Jackson, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Grand Haven are the chief towns on its banks.