Hartlepool , a town, parliamentary borough, and seaport of Durham, England, on a small peninsula N. of the estuary of the Tees, 17 m. S. E. of Durham, with which it is connected by railway; pop. in 1871, 39,969. The penin-sula or headland, on which stands the old town, partially encloses a fine harbor which is safe and easy of access. The newer portion of the town, called West Hartlepool, is on the opposite or S. side of the harbor, which is about a mile wide. The old town was rechartered in 1850, and has since been greatly improved. It contains three churches, including the ancient parish church of St. Hilda, and three dissenting chapels, a fine new borough hall, a large market, a mechanics' institute, a theatre, and water works. There are iron mills, puddling furnaces, founderies, ship yards, and breweries; the fisheries are considerable; and there is a large commerce, principally in exporting coal and importing timber. West Hartlepool, which owes its existence to its fine docks, has wholly grown up since the first one was constructed, in 1847. It is well paved, lighted with gas, has large water works, and contains six churches and chapels, a theatre, town hall, mechanics' institute, and market house.
There are large ship yards, founderies, locomotive works, saw mills, and brick yards, and 70 acres of dockage and three miles of quays. The harbor is defended by fortifications and has two lighthouses. The parliamentary borough, constituted in 1867, is called the Hartlepools.