Islay, Or Isla, an island of Scotland, the southernmost of the Hebrides, 15 m. from the coast of Argyleshire, to which it belongs; length 24 m., breadth 17 m.; area, 154,000 acres, of which 20,000 are cultivated; pop. in 1871, 8,143. The surface of the E. part ishilly and mostly wooded, but the remainder is generally level. Some of its summits are 1,500 ft. high. It contains several small lakes and rivers, which abound with salmon and trout. Loch Finlaggan, near its centre, is about 3 m. in circumference. In this lake is an islet where the Macdonalds, the " lords of the isles," once resided, and where the ruins of their castle still are. The climate is moist, but tolerably healthy. The soil of the lowlands is very fertile and well cultivated. The staple manufacture is whiskey, which is of superior quality, and of which over 400,000 gallons are made yearly. Lead and copper mines have been opened. In 1843 the island was purchased as an investment by the late Mr. Morison of London for $2,225,000. Chief town, Bowmore.