Jefferson City, the capital of Missouri and seat of justice of Cole co., situated on the S. or right bank of the Missouri river, 143 m. above its confluence with the Mississippi, opposite the mouth of Cedar creek, and 125 m. W. of St. Louis, with which it is connected by the Missouri Pacific railroad; pop. in 1860, 3,082; in 1870, 4,420, of whom 716 were colored; in 1874, about 7,500. It is built on elevated and uneven ground, commanding a fine view of the beautiful scenery on the N. bank of the river. The principal public edifices are the state house, a handsome building of stone, the governor's residence, the state penitentiary, several hotels, and eight churches of various denominations. The city has flour mills, manufactories of wooden and iron ware, carriages, furniture, etc, a state bank, two national banks, and two daily and two weekly newspapers. The state library contains about 12,000 volumes. There are graded public schools, divided in 1872 into 10 departments, including a high school, and having about 650 pupils, besides several denominational schools.
The United States district court for the W. district of Missouri holds its sessions here.