Jhansia town of India, in the Northwest Provinces, capital of a small state of the same name, annexed to the British possessions in 1854,120 S. S. E. of Agra. It is a walled town, having a circuit of 4 m., with strong fortifications, and surrounded by line groves. The streets are remarkably clean and orderly. A considerable trade is carried on with the cities of the Deccan and the Doab, and there are manufactories of native weapons. On June 4, 1857, a mutiny of native troops took place here, and 67 Europeans, about half of whom were women and children, were massacred at the instigation of the ranee or chieftainess of Jhansi. The ranee put herself at the head of the rebels, clad in mail, and during the rest of her career led her forces with masculine valor and ferocity. In 1858 a body of mutineers under her command shut themselves up in Jhansi, where they were besieged by Sir Hugh Rose, March 25. After a relieving force under Tantia Topee had been defeated, the city was stormed on April 2, 5,000 rebels being killed.
The ranee escaped to Gwalior, in the storming of which place, in June, she was killed.