Kalamata, a town of Greece, capital of the nomarchy of Messenia and of an eparchy of the same name, about 1 m. from the gulf of Koron in the south of the Peloponnesus; pop. about 6,200. It is the seat of the bishop of Messenia, and of a court of the first resort, and has a busy trade. Its chief exports are wool, oil, cheese, raw silk, and figs. A kind of handkerchief is manufactured here, which is in great demand in the Levant. Kalamata is supposed to be built on the site of Pherae, one of the maritime cities in the time of the Trojan war. During the crusades it was one of the most important places of the Peloponnesus, and was annexed to the possessions of Venice. It passed into the hands of the Turks at the beginning of the 18th century. It was among the first towns delivered by the Greeks in 1821, and the first where a Grecian legislative assembly was convened. In 1825 it suffered from the attack of the Egyptians under Ibrahim Pasha, but the damage then inflicted upon the town has been gradually repaired.