Kalamazoo, a S. W. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, drained by the Kalamazoo and affluents of St. Joseph's river; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 32,054. The surface is level or undulating, with rich prairies, fertile plains dotted with oak timber, and thick forests. It is traversed by the Michigan Central and its South Haven division, the Grand Rapids and Indiana, the Kalamazoo division of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and the Peninsular railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 844,284 bushels of wheat, 143,817 of Indian corn, 226,942 of oats, 312,777 of potatoes, 299,532 lbs. of wool, 29,392 of hops, 714,969 of butter, and 40,784 tons of hay. There were 8,583 horses, 7,182 milch cows, 7,634 other cattle, 76,699 sheep, and 18,748 swine; 5 manufactories of agricultural implements, 5 of brick, 15 of carriages, 10 of cooperage, 4 of iron castings, 2 of engines and boilers, 2 of musical instruments, 1 of printing paper, 12 of saddlery and harness, 2 of sash, doors, and blinds, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollen goods, 4 breweries, 5 planing mills, 15 saw mills, 10 flour mills, and 4 tanneries.
Kalamazoo, a village and the county seat of Kalamazoo co., Michigan, on the left or W. bank of the river of the same name, about 65 m. from its mouth in Lake Michigan, 60 m. S. W. of Lansing, and 143 m. W. of Detroit; pop. in 1850, 2,507; in 1860, 6,070; in 1870, 9,181. It is pleasantly situated, in the midst of a beautiful and fertile country, and is regularly built with broad streets shaded by fine oak, maple, and elm trees. It contains many elegant residences and fine business structures. The Grand Rapids and Indiana railroad, the main line and South Haven division of the Michigan Central, and the Kalamazoo division of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroads intersect here. The manufactories, which are run partly by water power furnished by the river and partly by steam, include two founderies, an extensive paper mill, two marble works, two carriage factories, a wagon shop, a piano and billiard-table leg factory, a fanning mill factory, three planing mills, a plough and cultivator factory, manufactories of furniture, steel springs, burial caskets, washing machines, and morocco, tanneries, etc. There are two national banks, with a capital of $400,000, and a state bank.
Kalamazoo is the seat of the state insane asylum; of Kalamazoo college (Baptist), organized in 1855; and of Michigan female seminary (Presbyterian), organized in 1866. Kalamazoo college has a preparatory and a collegiate department, the latter including classical and scientific courses, and in 1872-'3 had three prof essors, 6 instructors, and 192 students, of whom 116 were males and 76 females, 26 collegiate and 166 preparatory, and a library of 2,000 volumes. Michigan female seminary is a collegiate institution, having in 1873-'4 10 instructors and 57 students. There are six public schools, employing more than 40 teachers, a private school for young ladies, a daily and two weekly newspapers, a monthly periodical, and 16 churches. - The village was first settled in 1829, and was organized in 1831. It was known as Bronson, from the first settler, till 1836.