Kissingen, a watering place of Bavaria, in the district of Lower Franconia, on the Saale, 32 m. N. by E. of Wurzburg; pop. in 1871, 2,591. It is walled, and has very extensive baths with five mineral springs. Of these the Pandur spring, discovered in the 16th century, has a temperature of 50°, and is chiefly used for bathing; the Ragoczy, discovered in 1737, has 52°, and is a drinking water; the Max has 50°; the Theresa the same; and the Soo-lensprudel, 68°, is chiefly used for bathing. The first two springs contain iron, and the others salt. There were 11,000 visitors in 1871. The waters are exported to a considerable extent. A little N. of the town are rich saline springs, from which 1,500 tons of salt are annually made. There is an artesian well, 2,000 ft. deep, which throws up, by the action of a subjacent stratum of carbonic acid gas, a column of water 5 inches in diameter, 76 ft. above the surface, and discharges 96 to 100 cubic ft. per minute. This water is forced down a tube sunk into a stratum of rock salt, and is again thrown 80 ft. above the surface into a reservoir, whence it feeds the salt pans in the boiling house, and yields pure white crystalline salt.