La, Or La Harrbe Limousine Marche, an ancient province of France, bounded N. by Berry and Bourbonnais, E. by Auvergne, S.by Limousin, and W. by Angoumois and Poitou. It now forms the department of Creuse, a considerable portion of Haute-Vienoe, and fractions of several other departments. It was divided into Haute- and Basse-Marche, with Gueret as capital of the former and Bel-lac of the latter. Under the Romans it was part of Aquitania Prima. William III., duke of Aquitaine, converted La Marche into a county in the 10th century. In 1177 it was sold to England, but Hugh IX. de Lusignan, of a family several of whose members ,be-came kings of Jerusalem and Cyprus, gained possession of the county, and it belonged to that house until early in the 14th century, when the last descendant of this branch of the Lusignans ceded it to Philip the Fair, king of France. Subsequently it passed through various hands. The most distinguished of the counts of La Man-lie was Bernard d'Armagnac (died in 1462); his son Jacques d'Armagnac was sentenced to death in 1477 by Louis XL, who confiscated the county for the benefit of his son-in-law Pierre de Bourbon; and after undergoing some more changes, it was permanently united to the crown toward the middle of the 16th century.