La Porte, a N. W. county of Indiana, bordering on Michigan and Lake Michigan, and drained by Kankakee, Little Kankakee, and Gallien rivers; area, 450 sq. m.; pop. in 18T0, 27,062. The surface consists partly of rolling prairies, interspersed with groves of timber; the soil is generally fertile. It is traversed by live important railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 519,018 bushels of wheat, 394,294 of Indian corn, 148,311 of oats, 151,812 of potatoes, 47,277 lbs. of wool, 320,766 of butter, and 22,333 tons of hay. There were 7,297 horses, 6,135 milch cows, 9,435 other cattle, 15,031 sheep, and 15,386 swine; 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 2 of brick, 8 of carriages, 2 of iron castings, 6 of saddlery and harness, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 2 of woollen goods, 2 breweries, 8 flour mills, and 12 saw mills. Capital, La Porte.
La Porte, a city and the county seat of La Porte co., Indiana, situated on the border of a beautiful and fertile prairie, 12 m. from Lake Michigan and 135 m. N. by W. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1850, 1,824; in 1860, 5,028; in 1870, 6,581. It is at the junction of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroad with the Indianapolis, Peru, and Chicago line, and is a place of considerable trade. It contains foun-deries and machine shops, manufactories of agricultural implements, flouring, saw, and planing mills, etc, five banks, good public schools, a public library, a semi-weekly and two weekly newspapers, and 17 churches. A chain of seven beautiful lakes runs N. of the city, which from their facilities for boating and bathing are a favorite summer resort.