or Alieata. a seaport of Sicily, in the province and 26 m. S. E. of the city of Gir-.ti: pop. about 17.000. It is at the mouth of the Salso, the largest river of Sicily, and is built partly on the shore of a small peninsula and partly on the slope of a rugged hill which is crowned by an ancient fortress, the castle of Angel standing on the opposite height. The town is in a dilapidated condition. The harbor is so shallow that large vessels have to anchor a mile from the shore: still it has a large trade in grain, fruits, wines, macaroni. soda. and sulphur. There are four churches, containing several ancient paintings and inscriptions. - Licata probably occupies the sit of Phintias. which was built by the tyrant of that name about 280 B. C. (See Gela.) The height had been previously fortified, and the of Sant Angelo is supposed to stand on the spot where Phalaris kept the brazen bull. In the middle ages Licata was frequently plundered by the corsairs, and in 1553 it was tired by a French and Turkish fleet and almost entirely destroyed.