Meurthe-Et-Moselle, a N. E. department of France, in the old province of Lorraine, bordering on Belgium, Luxemburg, the German Reichsland of Alsace-Lorraine, and the departments of Vosges and Meuse; area, 2,025 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 365,137. By the treaty of Frankfort, May 10, 1871, Germany took from France almost one half of the department of Meurthe and nearly the whole of Moselle. By a law of the French national assembly, Sept. 11, 1871, the portions of Meurthe and Moselle remaining were united under the provisional name of Meurthe-et-Moselle. The principal river is the Meurthe. The surface is generally uneven, but none of the hills are more than 700 ft. high, and they are covered with forests, fruit trees, and vineyards. The soil is generally fertile, and the department is noted for the variety of its productions. Among the minerals are iron, copper, lead, building stone, and gypsum. There are some manufactures of linen, muslin, canvas, and woollen stuffs. It is divided into the arrondisse-ments of Nancy, Luneville, Toul, and Briey. Capital, Nancy.