Minden, a fortified town of Westphalia, Prussia, capital of a district of the same name, on the left bank of the Weser, 60 m. E. N. E. of Miinster; pop. in 1871, 16,593. It is one of the oldest towns of Germany, is surrounded by walls with six gates, and has a garrison of 4,000 men. It contains a Roman Catholic cathedral of the 11th century, and was once the capital of the see of Minden, which was founded by Charlemagne, but was suppressed in 1648. It has a gymnasium, a normal school, manufactures of woollens, linens, leather, sugar, and tobacco, and an important trade chiefly in grain, linen, yarn, and brandy. It was the residence of some of the German emperors, and several diets were held there. Within 2 m. of Minden the railway traverses the pass called Porta Westphalica. In a ruined chapel near it Wittekind, according to tradition, was baptized by Charlemagne. |The French were defeated in the vicinity of Minden, Aug. 1, 1759, by an Anglo-Hanoverian army under Ferdinand of Brunswick.