Minorca (Span. Menorca; Anc. Balearis Minor), the second in size of the Balearic islands, lying 24 m. E. N. E. of Majorca, about 125 m. S. E. of Barcelona, between lat. 39° 47' and 40° 5; N., and Ion. 3° 50' and 4° 23' E.; greatest length 33 m., greatest breadth 13 m.; area, 283 sq. m.; pop. about 45,000. The coast is indented on every side with small bays, several of which form excellent harbors. The surface is rugged, and rises gradually toward the centre, where it attains in Monte Toro an elevation of nearly 5,000 ft. The climate is very hot in summer and cold in winter, and the soil is rather sterile. Iron, lead, copper, and marble are found. The inhabitants are almost entirely engaged in agriculture, fishing, and commerce. Minorca is of great commercial importance in the Mediterranean trade, and the capital, Port Mahon, has an excellent harbor. During the greater part of the 18th century Minorca belonged to the British, who ceded it to Spain at the peace of Amiens (1802). (See Baleabio Islaxds).