Muscatine, a S. E. county of Iowa, bordering on Illinois from which it is separated by the Mississippi, and intersected by Red Cedar river; area, 440 sq. m. pop. in 1870, 21,088. It has a diversified surface and fertile soil, and contains extensive beds of coal and quarries of freestone and limestone. It is traversed by the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 333,147 bushels of wheat, 36,726 of rye, 1,208,640 of Indian corn, 320,256 of oats, 96,049 of barley, 147,005 of potatoes, 28,090 lbs. of wool, 380,-382 of butter, and 29,841 tons of hay. There were 9,238 horses, 7,101 milch cows, 12,656 other cattle, 7,173 sheep, and 24,504 swine; 5 manufactories of boots and shoes, 13 of carriages and wagons, 9 of clothing, 4 of machinery, 11 of saddlery and harness, 10 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 6 breweries, 4 flour mills, 2 planing mills, and 3 saw mills. Capital, Muscatine.

Muscatine #1

Muscatine, a city and the capital of Muscatine co., Iowa, on the W. bank of the Mississippi, at the apex of the great bend, and on the Muscatine division of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids, and Minnesota railroad, and the southwestern branch of the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific line, 130 m. E. of Des Moines; pop. in 1850, 2,540; in 1860, 5,324; in 1870, 6,718; in 1873, 7,940. It is built on a rocky bluff, and is the shipping point of an extensive and fertile country. Its lumber business is large, employing 500 hands. Four large saw mills in 1872 produced 30,100,000 ft. of lumber, 20,950,000 shingles, and 8,700,000 laths. The entire quantity handled at this point during the same year embraced 63,668,000 ft. of lumber, 27,891,000 shingles, and 15,049,000 laths. There are two large pork-packing establishments, three extensive flour mills, gas works, and three banking houses. The city has good public schools, a Catholic school, two daily, a semi-weekly, and three weekly newspapers, a monthly periodical, and 14 churches.

Muscatine was first settled in 1836, and was incorporated as a city in 1853.