New Westminster, a city and till 1867 the capital of British Columbia, on the N. bank of Fraser river, 15 m. above its mouth in the gulf of Georgia, and 65 m. N. N. E. of Victoria; lat. 49° 13' N., lon. 122° 53' W.; pop. about 2,000, including some Indians. It has a magnificent site, and an equable and delightful climate. In the river (here about a mile wide) are several islands, most of them inhabited. Within a few miles are extensive deposits of silver, which have not been worked. Steamers run to Yale, the head of navigation, 100 m. above, and there is a semi-weekly line to Victoria. Salmon fishing is the principal industry, five large establishments being engaged in it, and shipping annually large quantities of canned and barrelled salmon to all parts of the world. The principal buildings are the court house, council hall, post office, library, masonic and odd fellows halls, and the penitentiary in course of erection. The Episcopal church has a fine peal of bells, and there are also a Presbyterian, a Roman Catholic, and two Wes-leyan Methodist churches.