A N. W. County Of Mississippi, intersected by the Tallahatchie river; area, about 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 20,754, of whom 12,585 were colored. Its surface is generally level or rolling, and the soil fertile, especially in the low lands. The Mississippi and Tennessee railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,408 bushels of wheat, 390,767 of Indian corn, 36,531 of Irish and 58,395 of sweet potatoes, and 15,764 bales of cotton. There were 2,147 horses, 2,361 mules and asses, 3,085 milch cows, 6,137 other cattle, 2,952 sheep, and 17,385 swine. Capital, Panola.
An E. County Of Texas, bordering on Louisiana, intersected by the Sabine river and drained by its branches; area, 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,119, of whom 3,727 were colored. It has a gently rolling surface covered with extensive forests of pine, oak, walnut, ash, and hickory, and a fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 306,665 bushels of Indian corn, 66,828 of sweet potatoes, 60,280 lbs. of butter, and 9,367 bales of cotton. There were 1,739 horses, 1,174 mules and asses, 3,806 milch cows, 8,811 other cattle, 4,492 sheep, and 18,796 swine. Capital, Carthage.