Alexandria, a port of entry and capital of Alexandria county, Va., on the right bank of the Potomac, 7 m. below Washington; pop. in 1860, 12,652; in 1870, 13,570, of whom 5,300 were colored. The Potomac is here a mile wide, forming a harbor able to accommodate the largest ships. The city is generally well paved and lighted with gas, and water has been introduced by machinery. It is connected by a railroad 90 m. long with the Central railroad of Virginia at Gordonsville, and has a railroad to Leesburg, 40 m. distant, and one to Washington connecting with the Baltimore and Ohio railroad. It also has a canal joining the Chesapeake and Ohio canal at Georgetown. The imports from foreign countries in 1870 amounted to $33,822, and the exports to $39,648; 24 vessels were entered from foreign countries with a tonnage of 5,697 and crews of 192 men; 4 vessels with a tonnage of 1,029 were cleared for foreign countries. The number of vessels registered, enrolled, and licensed was 128, with a tonnage of 7,646. Two daily newspapers with tri-weekly editions and one monthly are published here. - The city of Alexandria belongs to the territory ceded by Virginia in 1789 to the Union as part of the District of Columbia, and retro-ceded in 1846. At the opening of the civil war Alexandria was in possession of the confederates.

On the 24th of May it was entered by the Union forces under Col. Ellsworth, who was shot while hauling down a confederate flag. It was subsequently the seat of government of the few counties of eastern Virginia which adhered to the Union, being occupied by the federal army, and recognized Francis H. Pierpont as governor of the state.

Alexandria, Egypt   Mehemet Ali Square.

Alexandria, Egypt - Mehemet Ali Square.