Gallipoli (anc. Callpolis), a town of Turkey, in the vilayet of Edirneh, 120 m. W. S. W. of Constantinople; pop. about 50,000. It is on a peninsula at the N. E. extremity of the Dardanelles, and was formerly well fortified. Its streets are narrow, dirty, and ill built, but its bazaars are large and abundantly supplied with goods. It has many mosques, fountains, Roman and Byzantine ruins and monuments, and manufactures of cotton, silk, and tine morocco leather. It has two harbors, and frequently receives the imperial fleets. It is the seat of a Greek bishop. Gallipoli was formerly of great importance as a centre of commerce and as the key of the Dardanelles. The commerce is still considerable in grain, wine, silk, and oil, chiefly in the hands of the Greeks. Gallipoli was captured by the Turks in 1357.