Geneva, a village of Ontario co., New York, beautifully situated at the N. W. extremity of Seneca lake, on the New York Central and the Geneva and Ithaca railroads, 100 m. E. of Buffalo; pop. in 1870, 5,521. The principal street runs parallel with the bank of the lake, at an elevation of 100 ft., and from many of the residences terraced gardens extend to the shore. It commands a fine view of the lake and of the surrounding country. Geneva is handsomely built, and contains many large stores. One of the Episcopal churches is a fine stone structure in Gothic style, and was built at an expense of $40,000. Steamers ply daily on the lake, which is open throughout the year, between Geneva and Watkins, at the opposite extremity, touching at intermediate places. There are six hotels, two national banks, gas works, marble works, two iron works, bending works, a flour mill, a malt house, etc. The nursery business is the chief branch of industry, employing 13 firms and many individuals. The nurseries cover over 3,000 acres, and furnish occupation to from 6OO to 700 men and boys.

The value of the stock is about $1,800,000, and the annual shipments of trees, etc, amount to over $500,000. Hobart Free college (called Geneva college till 1852) was established here in 1824, under the direction of Episcopalians, and in 1872 had 9 professors, 44 students, a library of 13,000 volumes, and a well appointed observatory. The union public school, a fine brick building costing $30,000, and its four branches, have about 1,200 pupils. A Roman Catholic school is in process of erection. There are two private schools for girls and one for boys, two weekly newspapers, and eight churches.