Georgetown, an E. county of South Carolina, bordering on the Atlantic, bounded S. W. by Santee river and intersected by the Great Pedee, Black, and Waccamaw, which unite just above the seat of justice and enter the ocean through the estuary called Winyaw bay; area, 813 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 16,161, of whom 13,388 were colored. The surface is level and partly occupied by marshes and pine forests. The soil is generally fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 14,094 bushels of Indian corn, 7,644 of sweet potatoes, 5,324,970 lbs. of rice, and 61 bales of cotton. There were 4 manufactories of barrels and casks, 5 of tar and turpentine, 1 saw mill, and 1 planing mill. Capital, Georgetown.