Lake George, a picturesque sheet of water inWarren and Washington cos., New York, 36 m. long from N. E. to S.W., from 3/4 m. to 4 m. wide, and in some places 400 ft. deep, discharging into Lake Champlain on the north. It is remarkable for the transparency of its water, its multitude of little islands, popularly supposed to correspond in number with the days of the year, and the beautiful scenery of its banks. Black mountain, on the E. shore, has an elevation of 2,200 ft. above the surface of the lake; and 12 m. distant from it is a very steep rock rising 200 ft. from the water, down which it is said Major Rogers, when pursued by Indians during the French war, slid and landed safely on the ice. Not far from this spot is the place where the English under Lord Howe landed previous to their attack on Fort Ticonderoga. The ruins of that fort can he seen at the E. end of the narrow channel through which the waters of Lake George are conveyed to Lake Champlain. Steamers ply upon the lake in summer, between Caldwell and Fort Ticonderoga, conveying large numbers of tourists attracted by its beautiful scenery. Caldwell, Bolton, and other places on its banks, are favorite summer resorts.-Lake George was discovered by the French from Canada early in the 17th century.
Champlain knew of its existence in 1609, and saw it some time between that year and 1613. It was named by Father Jogues Lake St. Sa-crement, from the festival of Corpus Christi on which he reached it, May 27, 1616. The English subsequently named it after King George II. By the Indians it was called Andiatarocte, or "the place where the lake closes." Cooper in his "Last of the Mohicans" called it Hori-con, the name Horiconi being given on some old maps as that of an Indian tribe in the vicinity, probably by a misprint for Horicoui, that is, Iroquois. It bears a conspicuous place in American history. For more than a century it was a channel of communication between Canada and the settlements on the Hudson. In the French and Indian war it was repeatedly occupied by large armies, and was the scene of several battles. On Sept. 7, 1755, occurred engagements between the French and English, near the S. end of the lake, in which Col. Williams of Massachusetts, the founder of Williams college, was killed, Baron Dieskau, the French commander, severely wounded, and the French totally defeated. In 1757 Fort William Henry, at the same end of the lake, was besieged by the French general Montcalm, at the head of 10,000 men.
The garrison, after a gallant defence, capitulated, and were barbarously massacred by the Indian allies of the French. In July, 1758, the army of Gen. Abercrombie, about 15,000 strong, passed up the lake in 1,000 boats, and attacked Ticonderoga without success. In July, 1759, Gen. Amherst with an almost equal force also traversed the lake and took Ticonderoga and Crown Point. The head of Lake George was the depot for the stores of the army of Gen. Burgoyne before he began his march to Saratoga.