This section is from the book "Bepler's Handy Manual of Knowledge And Useful Infomation", by David Bepler. Also available from Amazon: Bepler's Handy Manual of Knowledge and Useful Information.
In a room on the ground floor of the old State House, Philadelphia, is the old bell that rang out, in conjunction with human voices, the joyful tidings of the Declaration of Independence, in July, 1776. It was cast by Pass & Stow, Philadelphia, and was hung in the belfry of the State House early in June, 1753. It weighed 2,080 pounds, and around it, near it's top, were cast the words, prophetic of it's destiny. "Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land, unto all the Inhabitants thereof. Lev. xxv. 10." PHLAD. MDCCLIII When the British forces approached Philadelphia, in 1777, the bell was taken down and carried to
Allentown, to prevent it's falling into the hands of the enemy. In 1781 it was placed in the brick tower of the State House, below the original belfry, which, being of wood, had become decayed. For more than fifty years the bell participated in the celebration of the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, when it was cracked while ringing. An effort was made to restore it's sound, the crack was cut wider, but it was unsuccessful. A new steeple and a new bell were put up in 1828. For many years the old bell remained in silent dignity in the tower, when it was taken down and placed on a platform in Independence Hall, whence it was removed to a little room opposite in 1876, and there it remains.