This section is from the book "Popular Law Library Vol1 Introduction To The Study Of Law Legal History", by Albert H. Putney. Also see: Popular Law-Dictionary.
1. What was the character of this union?
2. What foreign invasion took place in the ninth century?
1. What were the provisions of the treaty of Wedmore?
2. What was the principal work of Aelfred after the treaty of Wedmore?
1. From what sources did Aelfred draw in the compilation of his laws?
1. What was the character of the first half of the tenth century in English history?
2. Who was Dunstan?
1. What was the character of his work?
2. What reign is known as the Augustan period of Anglo-Saxon history?
2. What was the character of Anglo-Saxon feudalism?
1. How did it differ from Norman feudalism?
1. Compare the Anglo-Saxon and the Danish conquests of England.
1. What was the character of the reign of Canute?
2. What was his great policy?
1. What was the character of the reign of Eadward the Confessor?
1. Was the Anglo-Saxon kingdom ever an absolute monarchy?
2. What was the origin of the Witenagemote?
1. How was the Witenagemote constituted?
2. What were its powers and duties?
1. What two kinds of land ownership were there among the Anglo-Saxons?
2. What was folc-land?
3. What was boc-land?
4. Were wills allowed among the Anglo-Saxons?
5. What were the regular courts?
1. What were the Anglo-Saxon methods of trial?
1. Upon what grounds was William of Normandy's claim to the English throne based?
2. What was the basis of Harold's claim?
3. How was the contest determined?
1. What changes in English laws and government were the immediate results of the Norman Conquest?
1. How did the feudalism introduced into England differ from Anglo-Saxon feudalism?
2. How did it differ from Norman feudalism?
1. What was the effect of the struggles between the English Kings and the barons?
2. What was Henry I's Charter of Liberties?
1. What other charters did Henry I grant?
2. What was the effect of the disputed succession to the throne between Stephen and Matilda?
1. To what race did Henry II belong on his father's side?
2. What was the effect of this ancestry?
3. What did the reforms of Henry II consist of?
1. What was the character of the government of John?
1. What was Magna Charta?
2. What has been its influence and effect?
1. What were its four principal provisions?
1. Compare the work of the reformers of the thirteenth century with that of those of the seventeenth.
1. What changes had taken place in the Curia Regis prior to the time of Simon de Montfort?
1. What innovations were made by Simon de Montfort in the Parliament of 1265?
2. When was this new principle of representation finally adopted?
3. What was the general character of the government and reforms of Edward I?
1. When was Parliament divided into two houses?
2. What was the character of the reign of Edward II?
1. What rights did the House of Commons succeed in establishing during the reign of Edward III?
1. What was the cause of the War of the Roses?
2. Upon what grounds were the claims of the House of Lancaster to the English throne based?
3. Upon what grounds were the claims of the House of York to the English throne based?
Pages 116 -118.
1. What was the result of the war as to the question of the kingship?
2. What was the effect of this war upon the House of Lords?
3. What was the effect of this war upon the House of Commons?
4. What was the effect of this war upon the liberties of England?
1. What was the character of the English government during the Tudor period?
1. What was the position of the House of Commons during the Tudor period?
1. What was the theory of James I as to the position of the King of England?
2. What was the view on this subject held by the mass of the English people?
1. What rights were claimed by the first Parliament of the reign of James I?
1. What were the two great weapons of the House of Commons in their contest against the Stuarts?
1. What position was taken by the nobility of England in the contests during the seventeenth century?
2. What were the relations between the King and the courts?
1. How does Hallam sum up the work of the House of Commons during the reign of James I?
2. What was the Petition of Right?
3. What were its provisions?
1. What was the effect of the Petition of Right?
1. What was the policy of Charles I towards Parliament?
1. What was ship money?
2. When and from whom might it legally be collected?
3. When and from whom did Charles I attempt to collect it?
4. Who resisted its payments in the courts?
5. What was the decision in this case?
1. What caused the summoning of the Long Parliament?
1. What abuses were abolished by the Long Parliament during the first few months of its existence?
1. What caused the division among the members of the Long Parliament?
2. What was the "Great Remonstrance"?
1. What causes led up to the war between Charles I and Parliament?