This section is from the book "Popular Law Library Vol1 Introduction To The Study Of Law Legal History", by Albert H. Putney. Also see: Popular Law-Dictionary.
1. From what races were the Babylonians descended?
2. What causes brought the Babylonians into constant contact with other peoples?
1. What was the most important and enduring work of the Babylonians?
1. How was the Babylonian law spread to other nations?
2. What was the Code of Hammurabi?
1. What was the general character of Babylonian adjective law?
2. How were questions of fact decided?
1. What was the form of the Babylonian marriage?
2. Was polygamy permitted?
3. What was the law as to divorce?
1. What was the position of a married woman?
2. What control did the father have over his children?
3. How could land be transferred?
4. What was one peculiar feature of the law of conveyancing?
1. What was the character of the mortgages in use at Babylon?
2. Did the law allow a person to dispose of his property by will?
3. What was the condition of contract law?
1. What was the position of banking in Babylon?
2. What important modern principle in admiralty law was recognized in Babylon?
1. Was Greece a great law making nation?
2. What is the position of Greece in legal history?
1. What forms of government existed in Greece?
2. What was the connection between law and religion?
1. What were the different steps in the trial of a law suit at Athens?
1. What were the rules as to the admissibility of evidence at Athens?
2. From what nations was the commercial law of the Greeks borrowed?
1. What influence has Roman law had upon the later development of law?
1. How did the institutions of early Rome compare with those of other cities in Italy and Greece?
1. What was the character of the early Roman family?
2. What was the earliest form of marriage at Rome?
3. Who could be married by this ceremony?
1. What was the earliest form of Roman government?
2. When was the Republic established?
3. Was the early Roman Republic a democracy or an oligarchy?
1. What were the earliest reforms in the law?
1. Who were the decemvirs?
2. Why were they appointed?
3. What was the law of the Twelve Tables?
1. What law marked the close of the contest between patricians and plebeians?
1. What were the four principal legis actiones?
1. What were the characteristics of early contract law at Rome?
2. What is the difference between the attitude of ancient and the modern nations relative to extending their laws and institutions over other races?
1. What was the jus gentium?
2. For whom was it originated?
1. What was the later history of the jus gentium?
1. What caused the fall of the Roman Republic?
2. What were the Constitutions?
1. What was the jus respondendi?
1. What influence did the Roman law writers exert upon the development of the law?
2. Into what two schools were they divided?
1. When did the codification of Roman law begin?
2. What were the earliest codes?
3. When and by whose orders was the Theodosian code compiled?
4. What influence was exerted by this code?
5. In what code is the highest culmination of Roman law found?
1. Who was Justinian?
2. What legal works were compiled under his direction?
Pages 59-65. 1. Give a brief outline of the charter and influence of these works.
1. By what races was the Western Roman Empire overthrown?
2. What was the character of the conquest of the western provinces of the Eastern Continent?
3. What systems of law grew up in these provinces after their conquest?
1. What were the principal Romano-Barbarian codes?
1. In what country and what century did the revival of the study of Roman law take place?
1. What is the Civil law?
1. What is the Canon law?
2. In what treatises is it found?
1. What was the extent of the jurisdiction of the Canon law?
1. Where are the beginnings of the English laws and political institution to be found?
1. What differences were there between the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Britain and the Frankish conquest of Gaul?
1. What was the origin of the foreign law terms in the English language?
2. What is the oldest account of Anglo-Saxon laws and customs?
1. Give an outline of the customs of the early Germanic tribes as described by Tacitus.
Pages 77-78. X. Describe the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Britain.
1. What changes in the Anglo-Saxon laws and institutions were occasioned by their conquest of Britain?
1. What were the four periods of Anglo-Saxon history in England?
2. When did the period of the Seven Kingdoms begin?
1. What were the seven Anglo-Saxon kingdoms?
1. What three kingdoms became the ruling powers in England in the seventh century?
1. What were the most important characteristics of the history of the eighth century in England?
2. What was the principal work of Ine?
1. Who was the greatest character in English history during the eighth century?
2. What was the character of his work?
1. Under what kingdom and king was the first union of Anglo-Saxon England accomplished?