This section is from the book "Popular Law Library Vol1 Introduction To The Study Of Law Legal History", by Albert H. Putney. Also see: Popular Law-Dictionary.
1. What is law in the broad sense of the term?
2. Define law in its more restricted sense.
3. How has the Supreme Court of the United States defined the laws of a State ?
1. What is the proper purpose of laws?
2. What is the basis for laws in absolute monarchies ?
3. What is the basis of law in Constitutional governments?
4. What makes society possible ?
1. What are the principal legal conceptions?
2. In what order can they be most logically studied?
1. In what order did they first become comprehended by early races ?
1. What is substantive law?
2. What is adjective law ?
3. How does the relation existing today between adjective and substantive law differ from the relation existing in early times?
4. Who was Bracton ? Under what heads did he write of the law ?
5. What was the origin of law ?
6. What were the early forces behind law?
1. Compare the methods of enforcing the rules of International Law today,with the methods of enforcing the rules of private law in early times.
2. What were the oldest branches of the law?
1. What is the first step towards social organization?
2. What is the basis of the family?
3. How did marriages arise in early times?
4. Under such forms of marriage what is naturally the position of the wife?
5. How long did the authority of the father over his children continue?
1. In case of the commission of a crime which wrong will the untrained mind most easily grasp, the wrong to the individual or the wrong to society?
2. What is the earliest method of redress for wrong doing?
3. What is the first step away from this state of affairs?
1. What classification of property is recognized in all systems of laws?
2. Which was the earlier to come into existence, real or personal property?
3. When does the law of real property become of importance?
1. How do primitive and highly developed systems of law differ in respect to contract law?
2. How do the Roman law and the Common law differ in respect to Contract law?
1. Name the various branches of the law treated in this series of books.
1. To what extent has the Common law become the basis of American law?
2. To what extent has Equity become the basis of American law?
3. To what extent has the Civil law become the basis of American law?
1. What Federal law is there?
2. What different systems of adjective law are found in the different states?
3. Into what two divisions is the whole body of the law divided?
1. What constitutes the written law of the United States?
2. What constitutes the written law of the states?
3. What are municipal ordinances?
4. Where is the unwritten law found?
1. Where can the unwritten law of a State be found?
2. What is the Reporter system?
3. What is the relation between law and history?
1. What were the three great law developing nations of the world?