1. Define the term bankruptcy.
2. Whence is the term derived?
3. Distinguish bankruptcy from insolvency.
4. What was the earliest bankruptcy law? What was object of early bankruptcy laws?
5. What is the power of our Federal Government to pass bankruptcy laws?
6. Has the present act been attacked as unconstitutional? On what grounds?
7. How many laws have been enacted by the Federal Government on the subject of bankruptcy? What is the date of the present act?
8. What are the two main purposes of the present act?
9. State the steps ordinarily taken during a bankruptcy proceeding.
11. How is United States divided for purpose of territorial jurisdiction of bankruptcy courts?
12. What must be shown of a debtor to authorize a proceeding against him in any particular court of bankruptcy with reference to its particular jurisdiction over him?
13. May a corporation have a principal place of business outside of the state incorporating it?
15. What is meant by ancillary jurisdiction?
16. What suits to recover property can trustee bring in federal courts? What in state courts?
17. What is a summary proceeding to recover assets? When is it not allowable?
18. What is the jurisdiction of a referee?
19. A petition in bankruptcy was filed against an insurance company. It consented to the jurisdiction. Will this confer jurisdiction ?
20. Who is a "wage earner" within the meaning of the law? Can he file a voluntary petition in bankruptcy?
21. A was a teamster hauling for various persons who would employ him from time to time using his own outfit. He made $1400 a year. Can he be proceeded against in bankruptcy?
22. Can a farmer file a voluntary petition in bankruptcy?
23. A owned and worked a farm. He also conducted a country store. He also bought and sold hogs, keeping them upon his farm and feeding them with the products thereof. Is he a farmer within the meaning of the law? Indicate what would determine.
24. What is the period in which one's occupation is considered in order to determine whether the bankruptcy court has jurisdiction? Suppose one is not in an exempt occupation at the time the alleged act of bankruptcy was committed, but now defends that he was in an exempt occupation when the petition was filed. What will govern?
25. What corporations may become voluntary bankrupts?
26. Is an incorporated society or club, not for profit, entitled to file a petition in bankruptcy? Can it be made an involuntary bankrupt?
27. A railroad company becomes insolvent. May it be made a voluntary or involuntary bankrupt?
28. Same question concerning a street car company? An electric light company?
29. A city becomes insolvent. Is it subject to bankruptcy proceedings?
30. Has the bankruptcy court jurisdiction of banks?
31. Is an unincorporated lodge subject to bankruptcy jurisdiction?
32. May a partnership be adjudicated a bankrupt? Is it an entity under the bankruptcy law?
33. Is a person under age subject to bankruptcy proceedings? An insane person? Estates of decedents? Aliens?
34. How much must a person owe to be adjudicated bankrupt?
35. What is meant by the phrase "an act of bankruptcy"?
36. Define insolvency.
37. A has a business which as a going concern is worth $20,000.
A's debts are $21,000. He is entitled to a homestead of $1,000, and is living in a house whose "equity" is worth that sum. Is A insolvent?
38. What is the rule about determining assets as their fair value?
39. A is worth $20,000. He owes $10,000. He transfers $15,-000 to B with the understanding B is to retransfer it to him after he gets out of financial difficulty. Is A insolvent under the meaning of the present act?
40. What was the test of insolvency under former acts or bankruptcy ?
41. Is a bankrupt entitled to jury trial on the question of insolvency?
42. If an involuntary petition is filed alleging (as it must) an act of bankruptcy, within what time must it allege that the act of bankruptcy was committed?
43. Suppose a petition does not allege an act of bankruptcy? May it be amended? Suppose the amendment shows an act of bankruptcy within the required time previous to the filing of the original petition, but not within that time from the filing of the amendment. Is the amendment sufficient?
44. What is the first act of bankruptcy?
45. Is insolvency an element in this act?
46. What is the next act of bankruptcy? Is it necessary that it be avoidable in order to constitute an act of bankruptcy?
47. Can there be a preference in fact by an insolvent debtor that does not amount to a preference that constitutes an act of bankruptcy?
48. A, while insolvent, borrows money from B and gives him a mortgage on his property. Is this a preference?
49. A, while insolvent, has a judgment entered against him. Is this in itself an act of bankruptcy?
51. Is an application for a receivership in a state court always an act of bankruptcy? What part does insolvency play in this act of bankruptcy?
52. What is the last of the acts of bankruptcy as enumerated?
53. What schedules are attached to a voluntary petition in bankruptcy ?
54. How many creditors are required to file an involuntary petition?
55. Can a creditor who has been preferred by a bankrupt be a petitioning creditor? Can a secured creditor be counted?