Goblet. The goblet is the aristocrat of table glass. In its usual form it is a flaring round bowl resting on a tall slender stem. In certain styles, however, the "stem" becomes a mere button. Goblets are always provided with a foot, however small. The goblet is the dominant member of the "place glass" group, and all glasses of a service take their shape from it, following its contours very closely.

Other Place Glass. In addition to the goblet, there may be placed at each cover at least one other glass for the cup or other beverages. At very formal dinners two extra glasses are often placed, but never more.

The shapes and sizes of these supplementary glasses vary as their purposes. On the continent, for example, there is a definite type of glass placed for certain wines. Thus a glass for sherry is differently shaped from one for claret: it is more sharply tapered and considerably smaller.

For the most part the glasses of this type that we see in America are either the claret, or the tall shallow champagne glass. The claret, whose capacity makes it a fine utility glass, is used for almost any kind of cup. On the other hand the tall champagne glass is often placed for its high decorative value. Few glasses are as graceful as this shallow bowl on its slender shaft.

Sherbet. The sherbet glass is a medium depth broad bowl on a short stem. In it are served sherbets, ice-cream, frozen desserts. Much used now, however, for this purpose is the tall shallow champagne glass, perhaps because of its more imposing height and dignity.

Hollow Stem Champagne. This glass is similar to the tall champagne glass, except that the stem instead of being solid is hollow to the very bottom. While its primary use was for serving champagne, today we often serve in it ginger ale, and other carbonated drinks. The hollow stem releasing a train of sparkling bubbles is picturesque indeed.

Finger Bowl. The finger bowl is a low broad bowl, variously shaped. It is usually seen without a "foot," but certain styles have such supports. Finger bowls are fitted with matching under-plates, but their use is optional.

Grapefruit Bowl. This is a double bowl for chilled food cocktails. It consists of a large bowl on a stem. Within it is placed a smaller "cup" or "lining." The grapefruit or other cocktail is put in the small cup, and the space between the cups is filled with crushed ice.

Tumbler. In its simplest form, a tumbler is simply a glass cylinder with one end closed. But the glass designer does wonders with it. He mounts it on a foot: he shapes its sides in lovely contours: often he makes it angular instead of round.

The sizes commonly used are:

Apollinaris Tumbler. This is a small, narrow tumbler used for liquids that are served in small quantities, such as orange juice, grape juice, mineral water. It is often used for water when space is at a premium, as on breakfast trays, or at bridge tables. It holds about five ounces.

Table Tumbler. Also called water tumbler. It is a low tumbler, containing about ten ounces, and is used to serve water informally, at simple meals.

There is also a water tumbler of about the same capacity, but narrower and taller, sometimes called the "Ale tumbler."

Highball Tumbler. A tall tumbler, used to serve "long drinks," or iced tea, iced coffee, iced chocolate, and so forth. It holds about 12 ounces.

Iced Tea Tumbler. A normal iced tea tumbler, sufficiently large to contain plenty of ice. Its capacity runs from 14 to 16 ounces.

Besides the Pieces in General Use Described Above, there are all manner of articles blown for special uses: trays for hors d'oeuvres; salad bowls, salt dips, saucers for berries, and plates of various sizes.