Brazos, a river which rises in the N. W. part of Texas, in Bexar district, flows first E., then S. S. E. across the state, and falls into the gulf of Mexico, in Brazoria county, about 40 m. S. W. of Galveston. The distance from its source to its mouth is nearly 500 m., which is increased by the bends of the river to about 900 m. During the rainy season, from February to May, it is navigable by steamboats about 300 m. to Washington, and at all times 40 m. to Columbia.
Brazos, a S. E. central county of Texas, bounded E. by the Navasoto river and W. by the Brazos, which unite at its S. extremity; area, 578 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,205, of whom 3,759 were colored. It has an undulating surface, about one half of which is covered with oak and other trees. Much of the soil is rich loam. There are mineral springs of sulphur and magnesia. The Houston and Texas railroad traverses the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 205,864 bushels of corn, 38,597 of sweet potatoes, 6,927 bales of cotton, 18,001 lbs. of wool, and 36,639 of butter. There were 2,172 horses, 2,852 milch cows, 14,145 other cattle, 8,565 sheep, and 14,420 swine. Capital, Bryan.