A N. E. county of the colony of New South Wales, Australia, bordered on the S. by Hunter and Goulbourn rivers, and on the N. by the Liverpool mountains; area, 2,344 sq. m.; pop. in 1866, about 1,400. It consists chiefly of table land, diversified by a few plains and some high peaks, one of which, called the Burning mountain, or Mount Win-gen, is in a state of combustion. The burning portion is from 1,400 to 1,500 feet above the sea. In 1866 there were 3,500 acres of land under cultivation, chiefly in wheat. There were 5,866 horses, 29,154 cattle, and 175,786 sheep. The principal towns are Murrurundi and Scone. II. A town of Australia, capital of Queensland and of Stanley county, situated on the river Brisbane, about 25 m. from its entrance into Moreton bay, and 440 m. N. N. E. of Sydney; pop. in 1871, 19,413, of whom 15,029 belonged to the city proper and the remainder to the suburbs. The town is divided into four parts, North and South Brisbane, Kangaroo Point, and Fortitude Valley. The two former are connected by an iron bridge. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic and an Anglican bishop, and has a mechanics' institute, school of arts, general hospital, and botanical gardens which are laid out with great taste and excellently kept.
There were published in 1871 one daily newspaper, two tri-weeklies, one weekly, and one monthly. Steamers run to Sydney, and to the northern ports; there is also regular communication with London by sailing vessels. Owing to the bar at the mouth of the river, only vessels of a limited size can come up to the city.