A S. W. County Of North Carolina, bounded E. by the Yadkin and S. by Rocky river; area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,315. of whom 1,289 were colored. The surface is mountainous and the soil generally fertile. Gold and silver have been found in considerable quantities. The chief productions in 1870 were 63,575 bushels of wheat, 118,788 of Indian corn, 42,037 of oats, 10.435 of sweet and 5,294 of Irish potatoes, 12,459 lbs. of tobacco, 8,294 of wool, 20,164 of honey, and 11,515 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,333 horses, 332 mules and asses, 1,725 milch cows, 2,9(33 other cattle, 5,705 sheep, and 9,349 swine. Capital, Albemarle.
A S. W. County Of Dakota, recently formed and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 1,450 sq. m. It is bounded N. E. by the Missouri river, and is intersected by the Big Cheyenne and Titon rivers, tributaries of the Missouri. The surface is rolling.