Pottsville, a borough and the capital of Schuylkill co., Pennsylvania, on the Schuylkill river, at the mouth of Norwegian creek; pop. in 1850, 7,515; in 1860, 9,444; in 1870, 12,384. It is the terminus of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad, by which it is 93 m. N. W. of the former city and 35 m. of the latter. It is picturesquely situated near Sharp mountain, on a very uneven surface, in the midst of an extensive coal region, which is the chief source of its prosperity. It is lighted with gas, and is well built, largely of brick. The chief public buildings are the court house, jail, town hall, union hall, opera house, and school houses. Immense quantities of coal are shipped from this point over the Philadelphia and Reading railroad, being brought from the mines by branch railroads. There are several founderies and machine shops, rolling mills, a brass foundery, three furnaces, a carpet factory, a shoe factory, and sash and blind factories. There are ten banks, with an aggregate capital of $1,500,000, good public and private schools, two daily and five weekly (two German) newspapers, a monthly periodical, an orphans' home, and 19 churches.