Rheims, Or Reims (anc. Durocortorum, afterward Remi), a city of Champagne, France, in the department of Marne, on the Vesle, a . tributary of the Aisne, near the Marne and Aisne canal, 82 m. E. N. E. of Paris; pop. in 1872, 71,994 (in 1851, 45,754). The cathedral, built in the early part of the 13th century, and completed in the 15th, is one of the finest Gothic edifices in Europe; in it the French kings were crowned for many centuries, the last coronation being that of Charles X., when the oil in the fragment of the holy ampulla was exhausted. (See Ampulla.) Among the many other noteworthy buildings are the archbishop's palace and the hôtel de ville. There are several schools of high grade, a museum, and a library. A university existed here from 1547 to 1793. Rheims is a centre of the trade in Champagne wine, and of woollen, cotton, and other manufactures. The annual transactions in woollen goods are estimated at 75,-000,000 francs. - Under the Romans Rheims was the capital of Belgica Secunda. Its bishops, dating from the 4th century, and its archbishops, from the 8th, were down to the revolution among the primates of France. After many sieges during the middle ages, it withstood one by the English under Edward III. (1359), but was occupied by them from 1421 to 1429, when they were expelled by Joan of Arc. The Germans occupied the city on Sept. 4, 1870. - See Rheims, la ville des sacres, by Baron Taylor (1854; new ed., 1860).