Saguenay, a river of Quebec, Canada, flowing from Lake St. John by two outlets, which unite 9 m. E. of the lake (see Quebec, vol. xiv., p. 135), to the St. Lawrence at Tadou-sac, 120 m. below Quebec; length about 100 m. From the junction it flows S. E. with a stream from 1/2 m. to 2 m. in width, at first between gently sloping banks; but below Grand or Ha! Ha! bay it forces its way through perpendicular cliffs of granite and syenite, one of them, Cape Trinity, towering 1,500 ft. above the river, and another near it, called Pointe d'Éternité, still more lofty. Ha! Ha! bay is on the W. side of the river, about 60 m. from its mouth, and is about 9 m. wide and 9 m. long, with a depth of from 15 to 35 fathoms. The depth of the river is remarkable; 34 m. from its mouth there is a recess or bay which is 1 1/4 m. deep; and at another point, a little lower down, called St. Jean's bay, the depth is 1 1/2 m. Its average depth in mid-channel, according to Admiral Bayfield, is 145 fathoms. It is navigable for steamboats to Chicoutimi, 75 m. from its mouth; above that point the rapids prevent navigation, and at low water a bar about 60 m. from its mouth prevents large vessels from ascending.
Saguenay, the N. E. county of Quebec, Canada, bordering on the river and gulf of St. Lawrence; area, 68,840 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 5,487, of whom 3,519 were of French and 390 of English origin or descent, and 1,309 were Indians. It includes the island of Anticosti, and embraces the portion of Labrador belonging to the province. The Saguenay river intersects the S. W. extremity, and numerous other rivers flow into the river and gulf of St. Lawrence. The settlements are scattered along the coast, and the inhabitants are engaged in fishing. Capital, Tadousac.